Hair Loss Myths

Close

John Fischer, Staff Writer

John L. Fischer is an experienced writer and communications specialist. His work has appeared in newspapers, magazines and on numerous websites. He has written on subjects ranging everywhere from adult health to sports medicine to tips on developing and training young athletes. He is a former beat writer for cross-channel marketing publication, "Multichannel Merchant," and a former communications specialist for global technology consultant, Gartner, Inc. Mr. Fischer is a graduate of the University of Richmond (Richmond, VA) and also holds a Master's from Mercy College (Dobbs Ferry, NY) in writing and literature.


October 29 2007

Category Image

Myths about the causes – and cures – of baldness have been around since men and women first noticed that their hair was falling out and began searching for a cure for hair loss.

In fact, it seems that just about everybody has an opinion on how to fight hair loss, slow down the balding process and prevent baldness altogether. Here are just a few of the most popular misconceptions about hair loss that have evolved over the years:

Myth #1 – Wearing a Hat Causes Baldness

In truth, doctors say that wearing hats, caps and helmets has no effect on hair loss. Many believe the "hat" myth arose because so many young men began to lose their hair after joining the military. What they failed to realize, though, was that the age these young men enlisted and earned their first "buzz cut" – generally, between 17-25 – coincides with the beginning of hair loss in most men. So the hair loss culprit was more a matter of genetics and heredity, not hats.

Myth #2 – Drinking Urine is a Cure for Baldness

Even though there are hundreds of websites that claim drinking human urine provides you with nutrients, vitamins and enzymes, doctors can't prove it prevents hair loss. Human urine is known to be 95% water, and doctors don't believe the other 5% stops hair loss or re-grows hair. No formal medical studies have validated urine therapy. Fortunately, it is doubtful that any organized scientific effort has ever been made.

Myth #3 – Drinking Green Tea Helps Prevent Baldness

Most health experts do not believe that diet can reduce hair loss or lead to hair re-growth. While drinking green tea and eating foods that contain essential nutrients may provide other health benefits, no reputable doctor will prescribe green tea specifically to fight hair loss.

Myth #4 – You Get Your Baldness Gene from Your Mother's Father

The "maternal grandfather" myth may be the most popular of all hair loss stories; it is also untrue. Male and female pattern baldness can be inherited from either side of the family. Plus, the genes that cause hair loss are unpredictable; they may skip a generation, or several generations, or they may pass directly from parent to child. In general, your chances of losing your hair are greater if baldness runs in both sides of your family.

Despite the wide variety of myths associated with hair loss, doctors are convinced that most hair loss is caused by genetic factors. Studies indicate that by age 50, more than half of all men and women will experience some degree of hair loss. That's why more  and more men and women undergo hair transplant surgery to restore a full, healthy head of hair.

Currently, hair transplant surgery is the only technique proven to re-grow hair permanently, and that's no myth!